This gluten free plum cake recipe is gorgeous. It’s a luscious showstopper at the party table.
Better still it’s an easy to make gluten free plum cake recipe.
A gluten free plum cake recipe so good we made it twice in one week
I have made this gluten free plum cake recipe twice now. We lingered over the juicy plum slices for puddings during the week. Then I made a slightly smaller version for a family get together at which one person was coeliac.
The gluten free plum cake recipe is from Hannah Miles’ The Gluten Free Baker. The original plum cake recipe comes out very large at 11 inches wide using a rather decadent and costly volume of ground almonds. Hence the second time I made the gluten free plum cake recipe in an 8 inch tin to save money and waste. 11 inches is a very large cake indeed unless you’re feeding twenty people the same thing.
This gluten free plum cake recipe bakes slow and low at gas mark 3, it takes over an hour and half to cook but it’s well worth the wait.
This gluten free plum cake was the front cover shot for Hannah’s book but do you know what, I’m going to blow my own trumpet here and say I think mine actually looks even better.
I love how the light shines through the plums like a stained glass window. This gluten free plum cake recipe was a joy to make and eat. I hope you get chance to try it for yourself!
- 185g / 1.5 sticks plus 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 275g / 1.5 cups caster/granulated sugar
- 6 eggs
- 125g gluten free self-raising flour OR 1 scant cup gluten-free all-purpose baking flour plus 1 teaspoon baking powder and 0.25 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 400g / 4.5 cups ground almonds
- whipped cream, to serve
- 8 ripe plums, halved and pitted
- 100g / 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons caster/granulated sugar
- icing/confectioners sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 160c (325f) Gas 3.
- Put the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking after each addition. Sift in the flour and cinnamon, add the ground almonds and whisk again. Spoon the batter into the prepared tin/pan and level the surface.
- Arrange the plums, cut side up, over the top of the cake, scatter over the blueberries and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1.5 to 2 hours, until the cake is firm to the touch and a knife inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the tin/pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar/ confectioners sugar and serve with whipped cream.
- This cake will keep for up to 3 days if stored in an airtight container.
Recipe reproduced with permission from The Gluten Free Baker by Hannah Miles, published by Ryland Peters & Small.
Recipe reproduced with permission, with thanks to Ryland Peters and Small for the review copy of The gluten-free baker.