My spicy roasted cauliflower florets will banish nightmares of overcooked white soggy cauliflower forever! Recipe commissioned by Baxters Deli Toppers – find out more below…
Cauliflower really is the Sarah Jessica Parker of vegetables. If you watch Footloose, it might be a cool film but SJP is looking gawky without a hint of the sassiness and style we’d later see in Sex and the City. Sarah Jessica Parker really wasn’t all that before SATC. Compare also her 1996 appearance in Extreme Measures with Gene Hackman and Hugh Grant. Meh! But with the right styling her look was reborn and we would never think of her as the mousey supporting actress ever again.
You will never see cauliflower in the same light after eating this dish.
Back in the mists of time – where I have increasingly more space to frequent – it was another unexpected blonde bombshell who introduced me to the joys of roasted cauliflower.
80’s exercise guru and low fat evangelist, Rosemary Conley sprang her “Flat Stomach Plan” upon unsuspecting viewers of Richard & Judy. Her best selling 28 day plan concealed many ersatz horrors best forgotten – but amongst them was this nugget I took to my heart and never forgot.
Rosemary instructed, in between bouts of leaping about in purple unitards, to bake one’s cauliflower with cumin dusted on it. As opposed to boiling it to death like my grandmother. You’d never know it was the same vegetable.
Of course NOW all the wellness waifs think it was they who made cauliflower sexy but so few things in life are truly new and spiced dusted cauliflower has been waiting the wings like Carrie Bradshaw hoping for a love match. And adding bright yellow turmeric truly makes cauliflower stand out.
In Baxter’s new Deli Toppers Red Slaw we have found one – containing finely sliced red cabbage, carrots and onion in sweet vinegar, this sparky mix is a handy topping to finish off your street food inspired dishes at home.
This recipe is one of a series using new Deli Toppers – you may have recently seen my black bean nachos and spicy slaw quesadillas. Look out for the new Deli Toppers range in major supermarkets from this month.
Are you ready to #GetTopping ?
Spicy Roasted Cauliflower Florets with Red Slaw
- 2 heads cauliflower
- 50 ml rapeseed oil or ground nut or sunflower
- 2 heaped tsp tumeric powder
- 1 heaped tsp panch poran mix or just cumin seeds if you cannot find this
- 1 heaped tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Baxters Deli Toppers Red Slaw to garnish
- Preheat the oven to gas 6 / 200c.
- Remove the outer green stalks of the cauliflower and split the white part into medium size florets.
- In a large mixing bowl, cover the florets with the oil and spices. Toss to combine thoroughly.
- On a large baking tray lined with parchment paper or foil, spread the florets out evenly.
- Roast in the middle of the oven for 25-30 minutes keeping an eye on them after the first 20 minutes so they don't scorch too much (a little is good around edges though!)
- Serve the spiced cauliflower florets topped with Deli Toppers Red Slaw for great colour and taste contrast.
I am sending these spicy roasted cauliflower florets to Meat Free Mondays at Tinned Tomatoes:
If you like this recipe try these other examples using Baxters Deli Toppers products:
This spicy roasted cauliflower floret recipe with Red Slaw was commissioned by Baxters as part of their #GetTopping campaign. For more recipes using red slaw and other products from the range visit the Baxters Deli Toppers microsite and try to grab yourself a free jar of Deli Toppers too.