These easy meringue nests are an emergency Easter dessert you can make in minutes. Just two ingredients plus ready made meringue nests plus some egg shaped chocolates.
An optional extra ingredient is the speculoos biscuit crumbles although you could use any kind of sugar sprinkle instead.
I always keep an emergency box of meringues in my store cupboard as they are perfect for last minute desserts, especially in the spring and summer. You can fill them with chocolate, whipped cream or fruit or break them up for mess type desserts.
Today I have filled the meringue nests with an instant chocolate mousse made from quark. It’s an easy two ingredient chocolate mousse that I have featured before and highly adaptable to use in all kinds of desserts.
Speculoos crumbs are also something I keep in the store cupboard although you could grind up any other ginger biscuits for a similar flavour.
This easy Easter dessert was prompted by Waitrose’s #GoodEgg campaign which they are running on social media this week in support of Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity.
All you have to do to take part is post something you’ve made for Easter with the hashtag #GoodEgg and Waitrose will be surpising people with prizes of Easter gifts including Heston’s Golden Easter Eggs, Waitrose Cookery School vouchers, hampers, cases of wine and Waitrose vouchers.
Easy Meringue Nests
8 ready made meringue nests
200g dark chocolate, broken into squares
24 chocolate mini eggs (I used Waitrose ginger egg truffles)
speculoos biscuit crumbs
1. Using a double boiler or heatproof bowl suspended above a simmering saucepan of water, melt the chocolate squares.
2. When the squares are melted, turn off the heat and leave to cool slightly.
3. Before the chocolate has cooled enough to re-solidify, stir in the quark thoroughly until completely smooth and evenly coloured.
4. Spoon dollops of the quark mousse onto the meringue nests and press three mini egg truffles onto each nest.
5. Sprinkle over some speculoos biscuit crumbs and serve.
Recipe post commissioned by Waitrose.